Park home insurance provides cover for, unsurprisingly, park homes – but that may not mean a great deal unless you understand the difference between a static caravan and a park home.
It is important to carefully read the exact definitions provided by an insurer as these may differ from one to another.
Typically though, you may find that:
- a static caravan exists on a caravan park and is occupied for only a few weeks per annum just for holidays (including rental for holiday purposes);
- although normally located semi-permanently on one spot, a static caravan can be moved for storage during winter etc;
- a static caravan is never occupied as a permanent place of residence;
- a park home is a permanently sited dwelling on a formally recognised and approved (by the local council) park home site;
- a park home is permanently occupied as your normal place of residence and you will typically be liable to pay council tax etc.
Park home cover insurance is typically a different product to static caravan insurance.
A typical park home cover insurance policy may provide:
- buildings cover;
- cover for your personal possessions;
- separate contents cover;
- cover for cash and credit cards;
- possibly, accidental damage cover for the buildings and contents components.
The level of cover provided and conditions, will all vary by policy.
Terms and conditions
All insurance, including park home insurance, will contain terms and conditions.
It is highly advisable to read these carefully to ensure that you are getting appropriate cover for your individual circumstances.
In the case of park home cover, it may be worthwhile checking a quotation for:
- whether or not you are restricted in terms of the site and location – some policies may, for example, insist that the site is under permanent supervision and may not offer cover if the site has a known history of flooding etc;
- accidental damage cover – this is mentioned above but it is far from universal on policies.
Park home insurance should help you sleep a little better at night, safe in the knowledge that your investment is protected.