There is, of course, absolutely no single answer to such a complicated question. Too much might depend upon variables such as your type of caravan, where it is and how you use it etc.
However, there are a number of factors that typically influence your insurance costs as follows:
- where you use it. Park homes, static caravans and to some extent, tourers and motorhomes, might all have their premiums affected by where you use them. In the case of park homes and static caravans, if you choose a site with a known history of flooding or which has a poor track record for things such as theft and vandalism, then your premium may increase significantly. Some providers may even decline to cover it at all;
- the value and make. As you might expect, if all other things are equal then the higher the value of your caravan, the more it might cost to insure it. Some manufacturers’ vehicles might also be more expensive to insure than others;
- the nature of your security precautions. Some policies might prove to be lower cost in situations where you have opted to use things such as alarms, hitchlocks and wheel clamps. In some cases, such precautions might be a mandatory requirement of the policy;
- in the case of tourers and motorhomes, who is driving? Typically, drivers above or below a certain age may command a higher premium than others. In fact, some policies may not cover older or younger drivers at all but fortunately some do. Also drivers with convictions might also increase your costs;
- the extent to which you make a caravans insurance comparison. This is essentially simply saying that the more effort you put into shopping around, the more likely it may be that you will find suitable and cost-effective cover.
Here at Cover4Caravans we know the importance of actually matching an individual caravan owner to appropriate insurance solutions.
We would welcome the opportunity to help you investigate the market and to consider in more detail, just how you might be able to apply some downward pressure to the overall cost of your caravan cover.