Caravan Insurance FAQs

Do I need caravan insurance?

You probably have the barest minimum that is required. The same principle that applies to the need for at least third party cover for your car, also extends to any trailer – including a caravan – that is being towed by it. If the car or the caravan it is towing causes injury or property damage, the third party is assured of receiving any compensation to which they may be entitled.

Beware, however, that the insurance afforded by any motor insurance is likely to be restricted to third party claims only – your car insurance might offer no protection against accidental damage, fire or theft to the caravan itself.

You might consider it prudent – to say the least – therefore to arrange separate, specialist insurance for your caravan from experienced brokers such as ourselves here at Cover4Caravans.

What to look out for when arranging your caravan insurance?

It follows that at important element of your caravan insurance includes cover for accidental damage and fire.

Another important risk is storm damage, cover for the contents of the caravan (including its awning – special conditions apply), cover that extends to injury to your family or friends, and the inclusion of European cover if you are planning to tour abroad.

Are there different levels of caravan insurance?

The different levels of caravan insurance are reflected by variations in cover offered by different insurers, between different policies and between the optional extras you might decide to include.

Insurance also needs to reflect the particular kind of caravan you own. It might be a touring caravan, for example, a folding camper or trailer tent, or a static, holiday home (typically berthed on the same site more or less permanently). There are special types of insurance for each of these different kinds of caravan.

Since there may be considerable variation in the level of insurance offered by one policy compared to another, it is important to understand exactly what your particular policy covers – and, just as importantly, what is excluded.

Is my touring caravan covered against damage whilst on the ferry?

Once again, caravan insurance policies may vary quite widely. Whether it is your first trip or whether continental touring form a regular part of your holidays, it is important to make sure that the caravan continues to be fully covered whilst it is in transit on the cross-Channel ferry.

What category of driving licence do I need?

It all depends on the combined weight of your caravan and the vehicle towing it. Provided that combined weight is less than 3.5 tonnes, your regular car driving licence is sufficient. If it is greater than that, you need to have passed the relevant test and hold a B+E category driving licence.

Do I need any other insurance documents when towing my caravan abroad?

A minimum of third party insurance is a legal requirement when driving practically anywhere abroad.

Whilst you are touring in Europe, your UK-issued insurance documents suffice, provided of course that you also hold the relevant category of driving licence.

If you are touring outside Europe you are likely to need an International Motor Insurance Certificate, popularly known as a Green Card, as evidence of your cover against a minimum of third party risks. When driving outside the EU, it is also advisable to hold an International Driving Permit (IDP) – which is valid for just 12 months and may be obtained at the Post Office or from motoring organisations.

What are some of the typical exclusions from touring caravan insurance?

It is important to know what risks are likely to be excluded from your cover. Although these are likely to vary from one policy to another, typically most will exclude:

  • the use of your caravan for purposes connected with any trade, profession or business;
  • risks covered by your motor insurance;
  • wilful acts of malicious damage caused by you or any other member of your party;
  • claims arising from any curtailment or loss of your holiday, or for any distress, pain, disappointment or inconvenience.

Do any special security provisions apply to cover for my touring caravan?

It has become more or less standard practice for insurers to impose special security measures to help protect against the theft of your touring caravan. These involve the use of both a hitchlock and wheel clamps if the caravan is left unattended whilst still hitched to the towing vehicle or the fitting of wheel clamps alone if it is not.