What do you do when your caravan insurance policy comes up for renewal? Do you simply let it automatically renew? Or, do you check to see whether you are still getting the most appropriate policy cover and deal?
The natural inertia we all seem to share might encourage the simple expedient of giving the renewal little more thought than rolling over the existing insurance cover from one year to the next. But with a little thought and care, it is possible to ensure that you are still getting the most suitable and cost-effective touring caravan insurance cover for you. Following are a few tips on how you might do just that:
- shopping around seems such a simple tip it barely justifies the mention, but you do it for practically anything else you are buying, so why not your caravan insurance;
- one of the reasons might be the relative difficulty in deciding just what level and scope of insurance cover you need and ensuring that you have everything covered whilst still paying a competitive rate – for example, do you need new for old cover? Or have your needs changed? Do you need to increase the sum insured, perhaps, due to having carried out improvements inside your ‘van?
- if you have managed to define exactly what levels of cover you require and how much for, then you still need to find the closest match to your requirements offered by the many insurance options available in the market;
- at Cover4Caravans, we are able to save you both these headaches by using our extensive insurance services experience in helping customers owning a wide range of different makes and model of touring caravan;
- combined with our knowledge of this particular niche sector of the insurance market, we may be in a better position to identify those products most likely to meet your specific needs;
- with us doing this on your behalf – either by you giving us a call on 01702 606301 or by getting an online touring caravan insurance quote – we can do all the legwork for you, saving you time as well as, hopefully, money!
Recognise the part you can play
- a caravan insurance provider may also offer you a more attractive deal if you go above and beyond what is required by your touring caravan insurance policy relating to security and storage – as you are mitigating the risk of loss or damage;
- one of the most effective ways of enhancing the security of your caravan the next time it is laid up for winter is to store it at an especially well-protected site;
- these types of storage sites might be identified by referring to the Caravan Storage Site Owners’ Association (CaSSOA). They grade storage sites according to the level of security offered through features such as inspection patrols, perimeter fencing, CCTV and, controls at entry and exit points;
- with 500 or so members around the country, there are good chances of your finding a site conveniently situated close to home;
- at the time of writing (February 2020), we offer up to a 15% discount off the price of your caravan insurance if your ‘van is stored at a CaSSOA-approved site;
- there are also opportunities to receive a discount on the cost of your insurance cover if you are a member of a recognised caravan club too;
- it is during those months in storage that you may also help to mitigate loss or damage by draining down the water and heating systems of your caravan, removing items of value and ensuring that gas cylinders and the electricity supply are disconnected;
- when the new season starts and you can start getting out and about with your caravan, there are further steps you may take to improve its overall security;
- some of these may relate to those times when you leave your caravan unattended – specifically, that you use wheel clamps and a hitchlock whilst it is still hitched to the towing vehicle and wheel clamps alone when it is unhitched;
- general security – such as good quality locks on windows and doors – remains your responsibility and a condition of any insurance renewal you arrange. Watch our video on Caravan Security and Insurance.
Rather than letting a sense of inertia rule the day that you simply accept your insurance renewal quote, why not seize the opportunity for thoroughly reviewing the insurance cover you have, the cover you need and the potential for beating the quote you have just been given.