Who are Cover4Caravans?

People typically like to know who they are dealing with. That’s why we will always be only too pleased to discuss the nature of our company and its operations in detail.

However, in summary:

  • we are specialists in the provision of various forms of caravan insurance quotations and services;
  • Cover4Caravans is the trading name we use (in order to convey meaning as to what we do as well as for brevity), and our full legal trading name is Alan Blunden and company limited;
  • we have a vast wealth of experience having been established since 1946, and we are fully FCA registered – no 309694;
  • of perhaps more interest is the fact that we are a third generation family firm and we pride ourselves on the relationships we build with our customers. Our directors all work in the business on a day-to-day basis, and none are there for appearance’s sake only;
  • based in Southend on Sea, Essex, England, we are justifiably proud of our local roots and our community relationships;
  • we aim to provide the most cost-effective cover backed with a first-class service, as well as being fully contactable via telephone or email.

Of course, there is a lot more to us than the above bald facts might suggest!

We aim to identify excellent and cost-effective caravan insurance cover for all of our customers irrespective of their caravan insurance needs.

We can’t really prove that to you by simply telling you about our company, and that’s why we would be only too happy to be given the opportunity to prove what we’re capable of through the provision of a quotation for your caravan cover.

It won’t cost you anything, and it might just open your eyes to a range of options for caravan cover out there that you might not have otherwise known existed.

We’d love to hear from you – so do get in touch!

What products do you provide?

As a company, we like to think that we provide a service rather than merely selling products. That’s important to us because it underlines our commitment to your satisfaction rather than just simply to our profitability.

However, we do of course offer a range of insurance products for different types of caravans. Just a sample of those would include:

  • touring caravans (we can also provide cover for many European caravans – something that is not always available from standard policy providers);
  • static caravans;
  • trailer tents;
  • folding caravans (these are sometimes referred to a little inelegantly as a collapsible);

We also take very seriously our responsibility to help clarify things that may appear to be puzzling or confusing in the world of caravan insurance.

That’s why we are always keen to hear from our customers in situations where they are uncertain as to what a certain insurance term might mean or what type of cover would typically be suitable for them given their caravanning situation.

This advice might be invaluable, though of course, we can only offer it in areas where our expertise qualifies us to do so. We would never claim to be experts in all aspects of caravanning – so probably won’t be able to say anything about whether caravan type A is better than caravan type B!

Your insurance policy may be all that stands between you and financial disaster one day – and that is something we never lose sight of.

That’s why we take our duties so seriously and why we would welcome the chance to work with you in helping you to obtain not only cost-effective cover but also a policy that provides you with the level of security you may need.

How can I get a quote?

We take pride in our ability to deliver fast quotations to you and more importantly, ones that are suitable for your particular situation.

We know that different people like to communicate in different ways and not everyone, for example, is naturally comfortable with using the internet.

So, if you’d like to telephone us for a caravan insurance quotation we would welcome your call during office hours on:

01702 606301

That will be a completely free call, and our team will be standing by waiting to help you complete your search for appropriate cover.

Of course, if you would prefer the simplicity and speed of the internet then we will be equally happy to deal with your enquiry through that channel. You will be taken directly to our quotations page by clicking here.

To help you with your enquiry and provide you with a speedy quotation, we will need to understand a few basic things about you and your caravan including:

  • the type and value of caravan you wish to cover;
  • how you plan to use it, over what distances and how frequently etc.;
  • where you live and where you plan to park it when it is not in use;
  • who will be towing or driving it if applicable;
  • where it is sited (for statics etc.);
  • what sort of contents you have in it and their value; etc.

There may be other questions specifically related to the type of caravan you are planning to insure and your own specific requirements in other areas.

Our quotation processes are simple and straightforward, and our aim is to deliver you the facts and figures as soon as possible.

So, why not give us a try? We’d be grateful for the opportunity to show you just how attractive our quotations can be.

Do I need to pass a test to tow a caravan?

This depends very much on when you passed your test, what type and size of caravan you intend to tow and the type of towing vehicle that you have.

One relevant date is 1st January 1997.

If you passed your driving test before this date:

  • your existing licence may typically allow you to tow a caravan or trailer up to just over of 8000kg in weight – including the weight of the towing vehicle;
  • you need to check your towing vehicle’s documentation though, as this will state the specific maximum laden weight that it can safely and legally tow – this may be less than the theoretical 8 tonnes combined maximum limit.

If you passed your test between 1st January 1997 and 18th January 2013 then, provided you have a standard type B licence, you can tow:

  • a caravan or trailer of up to 750kg in weight  in a car of up to 3500kg;
  • a heavier caravan or trailer provided that the combined weight does not exceed 3500kg;
  • anything heavier and a category B+E test will be required.

If you passed your test since January 2013, then there’s a maximum towing weight of 750kg provided that keeps you under a combined car plus trailer weight of 3500kg after which you’ll need to take a B+E test.

Regardless of when you actually passed your test though, if you are new to caravanning it may make sense for you to take some instruction before you hitch up and take to the road.

Please refer to the latest Government guidelines on towing here

What types of caravans do you insure?

We cover just about every caravan type. Whether yours is a touring caravan, trailer tent, folding caravan or a static caravan, our policies offer many benefits including:

  • a low policy excess (the excess is the first part of a successful claim that you are liable to pay);
  • for tourers, free continental cover up to 240 days per annum is always included;
  • generous discounts where touring caravans are stored on CaSSOA sites.

At Cover4Caravans we can also offer you a quote, even if you have previous claims, specific to your requirements and budget. We would love to hear from you!

Is my tourer covered by my car insurance?

At Cover4Caravans we can’t really offer you detailed guidance as to what your car insurance policy does or does not offer.

That is something you would need to ascertain yourself by reading your policy or discussing the matter with your policy provider.

What follows is a general comment or two on the subject, and it relates to what might be termed a typical situation:

  • your car insurance policy may provide third party public liability protection covering injuries or damage caused by your caravan while it’s being towed. This is typically a legal requirement;
  • as such, if your caravan caused damage in some sort of road traffic accident, third parties may progress action against you and any damages awarded together with legal costs should be dealt with under your car insurance policy;
  • if you have fully comprehensive car insurance, it is unlikely to cover any damage caused to your caravan during a road traffic accident. You should check that carefully;
  • your car policy will typically be most unlikely to offer cover for your tourer once it is no longer being towed. Things such as burglary, vandalism or acts of nature, won’t be covered unless you have caravan cover;
  • note that your car policy’s third party liability protection will typically only apply while your tourer is under tow. To extend that protection to situations where it is unhitched and being used, will require caravan insurance;
  • your caravan insurance’s third party liability typically won’t be valid in situations where it is under tow.

If you have any questions or require further clarification, we’ll gladly explain it further, so please feel free to get in touch.

The most important thing to remember is that the two policies are complementary to each other. You can’t replace one with the other.

If I have additional security devices, will I get a discount?

It is difficult to give a definitive answer to this because it depends on just what you mean by additional security devices.

In principle, yes some policies may offer discounts for taking additional steps to secure your caravan.  By additional steps, this means things that are over and above those minimum security requirements that you might be expected to take as being commensurate with the nature of your caravan.

For example, touring caravan policies may make it mandatory to use a hitch lock and wheel clamp in certain scenarios.

However, in some cases if you use additional security measures, perhaps including things such as trackers, the insurer may recognise that with a reduction in the premium.

Note though that there is an important caveat to this – that of the approved device.

If you have made your own additional security devices in your garage and fitted them into your caravan, the insurance provider may have no way of really knowing just how effective they may be.  As such, they may in those circumstances be unlikely to offer a discount.

If you use one of a range of professionally built and recognised additional security systems, however, your premium may be reduced.

As you see, it is difficult to say for certain just what may or may not apply in your individual case.  It is certainly sensible to use additional security to try and avoid your caravan joining the long list of those that are stolen each year.

To understand just what your options are here and what security devices might result in a cost reduction for you, why not contact us for a more specific discussion?

How can I make my caravan secure?

Sadly, tourers and static caravans attract thieves and that is why ensuring you keep your caravan as secure as possible will give you peace of mind.

Of course, making sure that your ‘van is secure isn’t just about peace of mind.  Whether you have a static home or a tourer, security is something you need to take seriously. Having a certain amount of security devices and measures in place will be part of your contract with us, so you may wish to check your policy documents, or give us a call to make sure you fulfil your obligations under your policy.

We do offer discounts for added security such as trackers and storing a tourer out of season on a CaSSOA site, so this is worth thinking about if you are reviewing the security of your ‘van.

How do I find my caravans CRiS number?

The position is a little complicated and may depend upon the age of your caravan and to some extent, how you went about registering it.

Here is a hopefully succinct summary:

  • since 1992, all caravans manufactured by members of the National Caravan Council (NCC) will have had a 17 digit vehicle identification number firmly marked on their chassis and all windows;
  • these numbers are recorded by CRiS – The Caravan Registration identification Scheme;
  • since 1997, all NCC manufactured caravans will also have been electronically tagged;
  • in 1999, the scheme was expanded to allow the registration of pre-1992 caravans plus those that had been imported;
  • there is a range of other advanced registration systems that might also be used including things such as Silent Tracer;
  • if your caravan predates 1992, then it may or may not have a recorded CRiS number. That would depend upon whether previous owners had decided to join the scheme retrospectively;
  • of course, thieves have some fairly sophisticated methods at their disposal in order to remove or even falsify CRiS numbers on caravans.  If your caravan is post-1992 in manufacture and is UK manufactured, then if you cannot find the 17 digit number on the windows or on the chassis ‘A’ frame (or plate by the door)  then it may be cause for concern and further investigation;
  • if your caravan was never registered, for whatever reason, it is still possible to do so.

Remember that caravan theft is a serious problem and registration, plus the latest identification techniques may make it difficult to steal in the first place and more easy to recover if it is.

Is continental cover included in my touring insurance?

The open roads, sunshine and different cuisines may all prove to be things that draw many British caravanners across the channel each year.

However, it’s important to note that not all policies offered by all providers will necessarily cover your caravan for leaving the UK or sometimes even the UK mainland.

As a result, it is imperative, if you have a policy from another provider, you check to make sure what if anything it offers by way of continental European cover as standard.

The good news is that our policies all include 240 days cover for European Union countries each year.

So, unless you are planning some exceptionally frequent and long-duration holidays over the period concerned, you should not have any need to worry about heading off on those ferries towards the south.

The only two points worth mentioning in this general context are:

  • make sure you do your research in advance as to the rules and regulations governing driving and caravanning in all the countries you will be visiting or transiting through.  Some continental police may be notably less understanding of transgressions than might typically be the case with police in the UK;
  • you should not plan to leave the European Union with your caravan unless you have discussed the matter with us in advance.  Crossing the border between, for example, Greece and Turkey or from Poland into Ukraine will typically require special discussion in relation to additional cover.

So, if you’re considering something a little bit more exotic in your European wanderings, we’d welcome your contact in advance to understand the position and to make some recommendations accordingly.

Does my age affect the insurance?

It is important to remember that your ability to obtain insurance in terms of driving a motor vehicle and towing a caravan on the public highway may be directly related to your driving licence and status.

Just as things such as motoring convictions may affect the availability and the cost of your insurance cover, so sometimes can age-related issues for both younger and older drivers.

Remember that aspects of insurance cover for your tourer in terms of its involvement in road traffic accidents will typically be provided by your motor vehicle as opposed to touring caravan insurance.

So, in addition to understanding that you have full cover from a standard touring caravan perspective, you should make sure that you fully understand what the related issues are for you in terms of actually moving your touring caravan from one site to another under tow on the public road.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you find anything of the above unclear.  We welcome the opportunity to discuss it further with you and to clarify any points where you are currently uncertain.

In the interim, why not take the opportunity to get a quotation from us relating to your touring caravan insurance?  You may find the results to be a very pleasant surprise indeed.

Do you insure static caravans?

Yes, we do! At Cover4Caravans we have a wide range of holiday home insurance policies to protect your static home.

This means that before you accept the site owner’s insurance, you may wish to get your own quote, to see if you can get a more cost-attractive deal and / or more policy features and benefits.

If you do arrange your own insurance for your static home, your site owner may ask for proof of cover, as well as charge a modest admin fee. Many of our clients have reported that even after having paid an admin fee to their site owner, arranging their own cover has still saved them money – so why not get a free quote now?

Our static home insurance policies include:

  • flooding covered as standard (unless the site has had previous flooding, in which case we may be able to cover excluding flood damage);
  • cover for all postcodes in the UK;
  • extended cover when hiring out your holiday home;
  • for new business, we offer a claim free discount, and if you are a new static owner we will “mirror” no claims bonus from a motor or household policy
  • no age limit on the caravan BUT for old caravans it will be market value only as stated in the Glass’s Guide.

To get a quote, please click here, or call us freephone on 01702 606301.

I want to insure my static caravan for the first time – will I get a discount?

We make no apologies for the fact that we are always keen to welcome new customers and their new business.

As a successful caravan insurance business we, of course, recognise the need for cost-effective solutions.  Financially speaking, times are hard for many and price will always be important.

Even so, a lot of our new business is attracted as much by our expertise and knowledge of the marketplace, including the types of cover available and how they may match an individual caravanner’s requirements, as it is on the basis of attractive pricing.

On the same theme as above, we also do not apologise for reminding all potential new customers that should you need to claim on a policy, at that point the cost you have been paying for your cover will be of no importance whatsoever to you. The only thing you will be interested in is the quality of the cover it provides and how well it fits the circumstances that are leading to you making a claim.

That is why we believe our specialisation and expert knowledge are both critically important – at least as much so as what we admittedly believe to be our keen prices.

Can my friends and family use the caravan?

Yes, they can – as long as they have your express permission and you make no financial gain from them doing so. Please note, we do require them to be noted on the policy as well if you are going to let friends and family use the caravan. So please do give us a call to let us know!

If they are paying guests, then you need to make sure you have appropriate protection for renting out your caravan.

In this latter instance, even if your paying guests are friends or family, the fact that your caravan is attracting an income from them means that you may need your cover extended to include what is known as “hire or reward”.

This is unless you already have that element of protection anyway – then you will not need to worry.

If you are unsure as to what your policy with Cover4Caravans provides, then please refer to our policy documents section. Alternatively, please feel free to get in touch with us either:

and we will be more than happy to clarify your position.

Is the freezer food covered in my static caravan covered?

Not as a standard part of our static caravan insurance cover. However, there may be options to add on this element of protection with some of our policies.

Because static homes provide temporary accommodation (i.e. for holidays and weekends), most are likely to have a small freezer only. So if there was some sort of electrical failure, for example, that meant the freezer contents had to be destroyed, it is unlikely that their value will be more than the policy excess. (The excess is the first part of a successful claim that you agree to be liable for).

That is why freezer foods do not form part of our standard static caravan insurance cover.

For clarification on any of these points, please do not hesitate to get in touch. We will be very happy to help.

Can I insure my caravans’ contents?

Yes, you can. Contents insurance is important because caravan crime is not restricted to the physical theft of the caravan itself. Unfortunately, burglars and opportunist thieves sometimes see unattended caravans as a major chance to get what they might interpret to be some easy pickings.

The cover provided by an insurance policy may vary though in a number of aspects.

Things that you may wish to take into account might include:

  • the maximum insured amount possible;
  • the maximum amount claimable for an individual item;
  • whether or not certain generic categories of item are excluded from cover (such as electronic items, gadgets, jewellery, cameras, computers and so on);
  • if the policy requires you to remove certain categories of item from the caravan when you are closing it up for a period of time;
  • the mandatory use of certain security locks and bolts on doors and windows; etc.

Note also that some policies may stipulate certain things relating to the minimum security available on the campsite before cover would be valid. In the case of touring caravans, your policy may also require certain things relating to where you may or may not unhitch your caravan and leave it unattended.

As you might expect, the conditions may vary between the different types of caravan such as statics, tourers and park homes etc.

As always, we would welcome your enquiries for more details and will be only too happy to talk you through just how caravan contents insurance might help to protect your financial interests.

Do you insure awnings?

Yes, we most certainly do!

Typically it will be listed separately on your policy schedule.

It’s worth noting though that there may be some conditions and exclusions that will apply.

What follows should not be considered to be an exhaustive list but policies may:

  • not cover contents that you store under your awnings – that’s because an awning cannot reasonably be considered to be a secure area. On the same subject, you should note that policies will also typically have limitations or exclusions in terms of other types of externally stored items;
  • if you leave your caravan parked up for any period while you are not in attendance, you should fully stow your awning away. That’s because your policy will not cover damage in situations where it arose while you were absent from your caravan. That’s why stowing it fully if you plan to be away for a period of time might be only common sense.

Awnings can at times be surprisingly expensive and also vulnerable, that’s why not all policies available on the marketplace will provide cover for them.

In passing, remember that sometimes your awning may be particularly susceptible to deterioration very quickly if it is not to appropriately cleaned and prepared for lengthy storage during the winter season. The manufacturer’s documentation will usually contain specific advice on the subject.

As you might expect, such deterioration will typically not be considered a valid cause for a claim against your insurance policy.

What is “loss of use” cover?


Loss of use cover means that if you cannot stay in your caravan as a result of loss or damage that has happened while in use and you then decide to continue with your holiday, your policy will cover extra costs incurred, up to predefined limits.

Typically these costs may include:

  • hotel accommodation costs (not including food and drink) up to a set amount per day and for typically up to 14 days;
  • the costs for hiring a replacement caravan up to a set amount per day, again, typically up to 14 days.

Static caravans

For static caravans which you let to paying guests, the loss of use cover typically pays for the loss of hiring charges booked before the loss or damage occurred. For example:

  • you take a two-week booking for a family to stay in your static home in August;
  • in July, something happens to your static caravan rendering it uninhabitable (such as fire or flood damage).

As long as the reason that your static home cannot be used is due to an insured event, then your policy will help you recoup the loss of rent for that period (subject to an excess).

If you would like clarification on any aspect of this cover, please see our Policy Documents section or contact one of our expert Team.

What public liability cover do you provide?

Public liability insurance provides protection in the event that someone suffers loss, damage, injury etc as a result, directly or indirectly, of your caravan. Our touring insurance policy currently provides up to £2,000,000 for any amounts you legally have to pay for causing accidental bodily injury, death, or accidental damage to property arising out of you owning or using your caravan.

Note that exclusions apply – for example, if you are towing your caravan, then typically, the public liability aspect should be covered by the towing vehicle’s insurance. Please ensure you check your car insurance and licence documents for clarification.

When your tourer is not being towed, then our policies will insure any amounts which you legally have to pay for causing accidental bodily injury, death or disease, accidental loss or damage to property arising out of you owning, possessing or using the caravan or the contents which happens within the geographical limits.

For static homes, again, cover is provided for public liability, with cover typically up to £5,000,000 as long as your caravan is being used for social, domestic or pleasure purposes only.

Please check your policy schedule for full details of the cover you have as well as any exclusions.

Or, please feel free to contact us either on our freephone telephone number or via email. We will be more than happy to help.

Is there an age limit on my caravan?

It is true that there are some insurance providers who seem to have a pretty low regard for older caravans and who also, as a result, do not offer cover for them.

However, here at Cover4Caravans, we are pleased to confirm that we are not one of them!

To be fair, there are a number of reasons why some companies may have some problems insuring old caravans, but we don’t suggest majoring on them here. Suffice it to say that they just don’t apply to us or the way we see the world.

Of course, the age of your caravan will affect certain aspects of your policy and cover.

The most important aspect of this to note is that if your caravan is over a certain age, we may not be able to offer a new-for-old replacement. Instead, in the event of a claim, we would use the market valuation of older caravans provided by the industry-standard Glass’s guide.

In our opinion, this is a perfectly equitable solution and one that our customers are typically more than happy with.

In some instances, some caravans may fall into what can only be described as something of a grey area. If yours is one such, for example in situations where it has been substantially overhauled or rebuilt, don’t hesitate to contact us for a specific discussion relating to your individual situation.

As a general principle, we don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions and where humanly possible we will look to obtain cover that is a good match to your particular circumstances and requirements.

Are discounts available on your policy?

We understand only too well the pressures of the rising cost of living on personal and family budgets. That’s why we are pleased to offer discounts on our products in certain situations.

There may be a number of circumstances in which you will be eligible for a discount on certain policies, including:

  • your use of certain approved high-security devices on your caravan as an aid to the prevention of theft and burglary etc.;
  • if you have undertaken specific towing/driving courses
  • if you take special precautions with the storage of your caravan over the winter time by using a CaSSOA site to help keep it safe; etc.

In reality, there may be a number of options for helping to keep the cost of your cover down, and they are not limited to discounts. That clearly involves finding the most appropriate policy for your needs at the very outset, while at the same time keeping an eye on the need for a cost-attractive solution.

It’s very difficult to say more about your options here for keeping costs down, as much will depend upon the type of caravan you have, how you are using it and your own personal circumstances.

At Cover4Caravans we are pleased to invite you to give us a call to discuss your individual situation and requirements with one of our experienced Team, and we will be only too happy to try and offer advice and options relating to keeping your insurance expenses down.

In passing, we would always advise caution when considering buying the cheapest possible policy as a way of keeping your costs low as the biggest test of your insurance cover is when you need to make a claim. At Cover4Caravans we aim to ensure you have the most suitable cover for your needs at a price that suits your budget.

What is a policy excess?

The excess amount is the first part of a claim that you agree to be liable for in the event that the claim is successful. Insurers see this as a way of you “sharing the risk” of the caravan being damaged or stolen, as well as keeping premiums affordable.

It also means that smaller claims amounts are avoided, which could cost more than the claim amount itself in time and administration.

Most caravan insurance policies come with a standard excess – this will depend upon the insurer, but typically this will be around £100-£200 per claim. You can then opt to have a voluntary excess on top – for example, say £50. So, in the event of a successful claim, the amount you would get back would be less £250 (i.e. the excess amount).

The higher excess amount you elect, then the lower your premiums will be as you are sharing more of the risk with the insurer.

You can refer to your policy schedule of insurance and policy document to see how much the standard excess is that you will be liable for in the event of a claim, or give us a call and we’ll be more than happy to confirm this with you.

Are there any exclusions on my policy?

This is a more complicated question than it might at first appear. In fact, it might be one that is easier to discuss with you directly, and we would welcome your call.

That’s because the answer may vary depending upon the type of policy you have and your individual situation.

As a matter of principle though, many insurance policies contain terms and conditions, some of which may relate to specific exclusions.  This is done for a number of reasons but one of the primary objectives of stating exclusions is that of trying to make the position absolutely clear, to the policyholder, as to what is covered and what is not.

Typically no insurance policy will issue an entirely unqualified blanket guarantee that it will cover any set of circumstances and any situation whatsoever.  Insurance is about trying to identify risk categories that are covered and highlighting those that are not or which are considered to be exceptions.

Of course, some policies may be rather more liberal in their use of exclusions than others.

Things to look out for regarding specific exclusions include:

  • the damage being caused by faulty workmanship, design or materials;
  • theft cover for your contents in situations where there is no evidence of forced entry or exit;
  • electrical and mechanical failures;
  • wear and tear
  • issues arising due to mildew or vermin;
  • the use of your caravan as a commercial enterprise or as your permanent residence.
  • For static caravans, where the caravan is not anchored securely to the ground at all four corners.

As you can imagine, the above is not an exhaustive list, and we will be only too pleased to help you understand just what your insurance policy includes as well as what it doesn’t include – particularly highlighting any relevant exclusions on the policy.

If I have made a claim, can I still get cover?

The answer to this question depends very much on your insurance provider.

Why claims matter

Insurance is all about covering risk and insurance providers need to assess the risk involved in any proposition before deciding whether or not to issue a policy and associated cover.  That degree of risk is also something that is taken into account when they quote.

Typically,  the higher the risk an insurer believes a proposition to be, then the more they might have to think about whether to cover it and if they do, how much extra they are going to charge for doing so.

In some cases, some policy providers may see a claim as evidence that the risks of insuring you are higher than they would be for people who have not claimed.  As a result, some may decline to even offer you a quotation once you say you have previously made a claim.


Here at Cover4Caravans, we see things slightly differently.

It doesn’t matter how recently you have made a claim or how large that claim was; we will provide you with a quotation. If you have made several claims, we may need to discuss a specific deal with you, but we will still endeavour to find cover for you.

Thinking twice

However, the key message coming out of this is that it might be advisable to think carefully before making claims on a policy for relatively small amounts of money.

Given the influence that may have on your future premiums or even the level of difficulty you may have in finding cover from some providers, it might in some cases be preferential to avoid making such a claim altogether.

Can I buy my policy online?

Today, more and more people prefer to do much of their shopping online, and that trend seems set to continue.

That’s why we can offer you the possibility to purchase your cover online or through the various facilities provided on this website. The starting point for the purchase of a policy is usually a quotation, and if you click here, you will be taken to the first easy-to-use screen that will guide you through the quotation and purchase processes.

Of course, we also know that not everyone feels entirely comfortable obtaining quotations and making purchases through a website and that’s why we continue to offer an exemplary telephone support service.

If you would like to call us, the number to use is 01702 606301. Remember again that this is completely free.

You can pay for your policy by credit card or debit card, and we offer a totally secure system through HSBC.

If you wish, you can pay conventionally upon receipt of an invoice, but you don’t have to worry about delays because your cover will still be in force while the invoice is being dealt with by you.

Please do not hesitate to call us if you have any other methods of payment that you would like to use here and we will be only too willing to offer you our advice and guidance as to how to go about things.

Whichever purchasing and payment method is convenient for you, is the one we will do our best to accommodate in order to provide you with the service you need.

Can I pay by direct debit?

The short answer to this is yes – you can pay for your caravan insurance by direct debit.

If you’d like more information on how to spread the cost of your caravan cover over the year, just contact us here and we’ll be more than happy to get the ball rolling for you.

In the meantime though, you may wish to note the other flexible payment facilities on offer from Cover4Caravans.

These include:

  • by cheque mailed to us through the conventional postal service. Simply ask us for an invoice and we’ll send one to you. You then send us your cheque and please note that your policy will already be in force from your chosen date;
  • by debit or credit card transaction through our secure online payment system. We use HSBC ‘s Secure Payments link and please bear in mind that your card will typically need to be registered in the UK.

Whichever payment method you opt for, please be sure that you check your policy details over carefully, paying particular attention to the date you want your cover to start.

Paying by direct debit instalments can help you to better manage your outgoings and expenses.

How will I receive my policy?

After purchase, we know that many policyholders will want sight of their policy as soon as possible.

If you purchase your policy through our online facility or over the phone we strive to send out documents by email the same working day, anything placed outside working hours will be sent the next working day.

If you require documentation more urgently or by a different method then please contact us between 9am and 5.15pm on 01702 606301 and one of our Account Handlers will ensure your documentation is sent to you promptly.

Please don’t forget though that it is important that you notify us of any changes in your circumstances that might affect your policy’s definitions and cover.

One such example might be if you substantially overhauled your caravan and significantly increased its value or the nature and value of its contents. Another might be if you stopped storing it in a professional facility over the winter when you had previously done so, and that assumption had been built into the policy.

If you’re ever in any doubt as to whether a change warrants notification or not – just call us to check!

When will I get my policy documents?

We know how important it is to have your policy documents as quickly as possible once you have bought them, and that is why we provide a number of ways to get them to you.

For insurance bought via our telephone service, your documents will be sent out by first-class mail on the same day. You should receive them within a few days but may need to allow extra time during bank holiday periods. If you need confirmation urgently (we know for example some sites require proof of cover before they will site your caravan ) please let our Account Handler know, and we can arrange this in whichever form you need it.

If you have bought cover via our online service, we will strive to send out documents the same working day, anything placed outside working hours will be sent the next working day.  We can also send you out a paper copy too, if you wish, as well as the email version.

What we can confirm is, once you have bought your policy, you are covered from the start date requested. We can arrange immediate cover, too and you will be insured immediately even if your policy documents are being mailed out to you via the postal service.

As always, if you have queries or concerns about your cover or policy documentation, please do get in touch  – we will be very happy to help.

How do I change my policy?

Making changes to your policy couldn’t be simpler. Simply contact us on 01702 606301 and your dedicated Account Handler will make the changes for you.

There may be a number of reasons why your caravan insurance policy may need changes, for example:

  • change of address;
  • change of storage location of your caravan;
  • changes to the value of your ‘van. For example, where you have refurbished it, meaning that you may need to increase the amounts of insurance you have; etc.

It cannot be stated enough just how important it is for you to notify us of any changes to your circumstances or to your caravan – this could not only affect your premium (i.e. how much your policy costs) but the amount of cover you have. In the event of a claim, you would not want to be underinsured. Nor do you want to be paying more for your cover than you need to.

It may be worth reviewing your cover to make sure all the details are up to date. Or give us a call and we will be happy to clarify the position.

How do I make a claim?

Any claim you make will be handled by your insurance company’s claims department or possibly a claims agent they appointed to act on their behalf.

As such, Cover4Caravans doesn’t process your claim. However, we are committed to helping you progress through the procedures, and your dedicated Account Handler will be more than happy to offer his or her assistance in the event you are unsure how to go forward.

We do not believe our responsibilities end at the time you purchase a policy, and we will be with you every step of the way, if you need us to be, when you are processing your claim through the insurance company’s systems.

Inevitably, each individual claim is different and therefore offering general advice is difficult. There are though a few things that you may wish to keep in mind if you suffer an incident leading to the need to make a claim:

  • take digital photographs as soon as possible;
  • try to obtain witness statements from objective third parties – if appropriate;
  • if the problem involves criminal activity, make sure that you report it to the local police and obtain a crime number confirming that you have done so. Do this immediately;
  • notify your insurance company’s claims process, as soon as possible, of your need to make a claim even if you do not have all the facts and figures to hand at the time;
  • keep copies of all receipts and quotations associated with any damage or loss etc.

The claims processes of insurance companies are typically designed to progress a claim to a conclusion as fast as possible.

The insurance company may understandably wish to check certain aspects of the claim – this is not an indication that you are being singled out in any way and just a normal part of the process.

How do I cancel my policy?

We will always make this as easy and straightforward for you as possible.

In fact, you can cancel your insurance at any time just by sending us a written notice or calling us on Freephone 01702 606301 and returning your master insurance documents. The charges that will apply are detailed in the general conditions section of the main insurance document itself.

If you simply change your mind once you’ve taken out cover, you can cancel the insurance, without giving any reason to us. Simply write to us and returning your insurance documents within 14 days of cover starting or if later, within 14 days of you having received the insurance documentation, or you can call our office.

In such circumstances, our charges will simply be:

  • for the period of cover you have had subject to a minimum amount of typically £25 plus insurance premium tax.

Of course, we sincerely hope that you won’t cancel your policy though if you do, for whatever reason, you can be sure that we will continue to offer you our very best service in terms of trying to bring the matter to a speedy conclusion.

In passing, while the temptation to cancel caravan insurance might be strong in times of financial constraint, it might be a questionable economy.

The money you have invested in your caravan is likely to be substantial and leaving it without cover might prove to be unwise.  Many forms of insurance appear to be something of a luxury – right up until the very second you need them and make a claim accordingly.

If I renew with you, do I get a discount?

We believe in customer relationships rather than short-termism, and for that reason, we will always recognise the commitment our customers are making when they renew with us.

Of course, we like to believe that our customers stay with us for reasons other than simply the cost-effectiveness of the cover we are able to facilitate or things such as our annual renewal discount.

Having been established way back in 1946, we like to think that we are bringing an awful lot of expertise to the table – expertise that can be deployed to the benefit of our customers. Yes, that can be manifest in being able to find some of the most competitively priced options out there but perhaps more importantly, also in helping you to obtain cover which is suitable for your particular caravanning situation.

Whether you are talking about touring caravans, static caravans or park homes (etc.) we have the knowledge and market experience that one day might prove to be extremely important to you should you be in the position of needing to claim a policy we have helped to provide.

In summary, yes, we are always extremely pleased to see our customers again and reward you with competitive renewal prices and cover every year.  However, we like to think that our customers are equally pleased to be dealing with us on an on-going basis. If they are not, we would certainly like to hear about it as soon as possible!

How can I contact you?

We always welcome contact from our customers, whether for quotations, clarification of our offerings or simply just to ask questions about caravan insurance in general.

There are a number of different ways you can get in touch and please feel free to use whichever is the most convenient for you:

  • telephone – dial us during office hours on 01702 606301
  • e-mail – you can reach us at cover4caravans@alanblunden.co.uk
  • conventional post – our postal and office address is: Cover4Caravans, 80 Baxter Avenue, Southend On Sea, Essex, SS2 6HZ.

In situations where you are sending us an e-mail or letter, we guarantee that we will respond to it as quickly as is humanly possible. Though please make allowances for potential postal delays in conventional mail services during bank holiday weekends, Easter and Christmas.

If you are sending us an e-mail or writing to us on the subject of an existing policy or other matter which is already being dealt with by us, it’s always helpful if you include any policy numbers or references quoted on earlier documentation. It will enable us to give you an even faster response.

Please don’t ever feel inhibited about contacting us.  We pride ourselves on our service and our relationship with our customers is critically important to us.

Who are CaSSOA?

The Caravan Storage Site Owners’ Association (CaSSOA) was founded in 1999 to combat the rise in caravan thefts and offers accreditation for storage sites based on a number of security factors and is a well established name amongst the caravan community.

Cover4Caravans is a member of CaSSOA and offers generous discounts on your insurance for your caravan being stored on one of their nationwide sites.

You can find more information at www.cassoa.co.uk.