You know the importance of caravan insurance. You also understand that it doesn’t always make sense to automatically renew your caravan insurance cover without checking first that you still have the most appropriate cover for your own unique needs. That means you need to compare caravan insurance – whether you are looking for touring caravan insurance or static caravan insurance policies.
How to compare caravan insurance – a quick overview
Performing a comparison between caravans insurance policies is always easier if you know what you are looking for.
The following points might be a few things worth keeping in mind whether you are looking to compare caravan insurance for your touring caravan or static home.
- the caravan insurance cover provided. At a very high level, the cover provided by one policy might appear to be very similar to that of another. Yet look a little beneath the surface and check for things such as whether or not awnings are covered or younger / older drivers etc. Check the policy options on a like-for-like basis. If your current policy offers new for old cover, for example, do the insurance policies you are comparing it with also include new for old insurance cover too?
- exclusions. You might find some policies exclude things you might prefer they did not. Things to look for here might include flood damage, contents above a certain individual value, damage incurred outside of the UK and so on;
- the insurance policy terms and conditions. There is no need to worry if a policy contains conditions – that in itself is perfectly normal. Yet do read them carefully because they may make a large difference to the suitability of the most appropriate insurance cover for you. Classic points to note might include what the policy requires of your site, the security precautions you are expected to take with your caravan, who can tow it and exactly what you might have to do in the event of a claim. There may be nothing wrong with any of these, but you need to be sure that you can comply with them or your ability to claim in future might be limited;
- the price. No caravan insurance comparison would be complete without making some attempt to consider one price against another. Yet remember to make sure you are comparing like-for-like (as we mentioned in the first point). One caravan insurance policy might be apparently much more attractively priced. But if it offers reduced cover as a result, then you may need to think about where your priorities are.
Caravan insurance comparison FAQs
We’ve set the scene now for the four key things to consider when comparing insurance policies. We hope this has given you an idea of the type of things you need to consider when looking for static home insurance or touring caravan insurance. Here are some caravan insurance FAQS to help you further …
Should I rank policies based upon their price?
As a first step, probably not.
Instead, try to look at the cover they provide and where some are more comprehensive than others.
As we touched on above, check, amongst other things, the following:
- discount opportunities;
- continental cover;
- age limitations (upper or lower end of the age ranges);
- the policy’s position on caravan ages and new for old versus market valuation.
Is price unimportant then?
The cost of an insurance policy is always likely to be an issue – none of us likes to pay more for caravan insurance than we need to! However, in the event of a caravan insurance claim, you will only want to discuss what cover your policy provides and what it does not.
The historic price you have been paying for it is unlikely to be something that will bother you under such circumstances.
As a result, it makes sense to concentrate initially on the cover and only when you have one or two policies that appear to meet your needs, to start wondering whether price differences between them are an issue.
Are some caravan insurance providers better than others?
This is a slightly misleading question, and perhaps a better way to think of it is that some insurance providers might offer policies that are, by their nature, more suited to some requirement sets than others.
A policy that might prove to be very suitable for one of caravan owner might not be suitable for you.
That is where expertise in the insurance marketplace – such as what we have here at Cover4Caravans – is extremely useful in terms of reducing the possibilities of purchasing caravan insurance that doesn’t offer the protection your ‘van needs and / or is overpriced.
Do I need to worry about the policy’s small print?
Yes, though not in the sense of the policy provider trying to trick you.
All insurance contains terms and conditions that are designed to make it very clear where the respective responsibilities and obligations lie between the insurer and the policyholder. They may also clarify exactly what cover is or is not provided under what circumstances.
As such, they are there to help not to hinder, but it is essential that you take the time and trouble to understand them or get help from someone to do so.
How do I choose the most suitable caravans insurance cover for me?
Important as an insurance comparison of this nature is, it has to be admitted that it can be a reasonably lengthy, time-consuming process.
If you don’t like the thought of wading through lots of individual insurance policies yourself, you might be better using a specialist provider of touring caravan insurance or static caravan insurance such as ourselves at Cover4Caravans. We are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) – so you know we are a reputable business – and have many years’ experience providing caravans insurance.
We can help you access a number of touring caravan or static caravan insurance policy options from various providers. That way you can quickly compare your caravan insurance options and cherry-pick the caravan insurance that is the most appropriate and cost-effective for you.